Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Super Sunday!

(From the Flora Christian, February 8, 2008 edition)

So, how did you spend your Super Sunday? I guess I’m a little embarrassed that it takes a football game to make a Sunday “super” for most Americans. I mentioned in the 8:15 service on Sunday that Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest “food holiday” of the year in the U. S. (no, my birthday is NOT #1—Thanksgiving is the largest food holiday). Super Bowl Sunday is also the biggest “secular” (not religious) holiday of the year in terms of total revenue generated. I don’t quite understand why this day has become so big, especially when the Dallas Cowboys haven’t been involved since the 90’s. I spent a great evening with members of our FISH group, and Jeff Henson and I both enjoyed the final outcome!

I was glad to be able to share the message in the early service, even though it was on short notice. I also enjoyed listening to the message brought by Dennis Arnold in the 10:30 service. I haven’t heard Dennis preach in several years, and it was a real blessing. I’m not glad that Bill was sick and couldn’t preach, but sometimes when you are pressed into doing things out of the ordinary, you get an unordinary blessing. That’s how I feel about the services on Sunday.

It was also a blessing to be a witness to the obedience of Jake Carruthers as he submitted to Christ in baptism Sunday morning. It has been a joy to see Jake (Deena Mosbarger’s nephew) grow and mature for several years, and I’m so glad I was here to see him take that important step.

The Christian life is often a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs and twists and turns. One thing you can say for sure is that it’s never boring!

See you Sunday! Rob

No comments: