Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rob's Ramblings....

(From the Flora Christian, September 18, 2009 edition)

I haven't posted one of my newsletter articles from the Flora Christian (our congregation's newsletter) in a while, but I was particularly proud of this one. Enjoy!

Rob's Ramblings....

This past weekend, I travelled to Chicago to help a good friend celebrate turning 40. Having crossed that bridge already, but not THAT long ago, I felt I was the perfect choice help him out. We attended an epic rock and roll concert at Soldier Field, at Chicago style pizza, and walked Michigan Avenue. ALL of Michigan Avenue, I think. Anyway, as is my custom, I felt like I should share with you a few things I learned on the quick trip to our state's largest city (and de facto state capital):

  1. Riding the train is my new favorite way to travel. I don't have to stay awake, and there's no pesky near-vomiting experience upon take-off or landing. Plus, the most INTERESTING people ride the train....


  2. English is apparently a foreign language in Chicago. Who knew?


  3. Trains stop for "smoke breaks" occasionally. The train I rode up did not, but the train I rode back did. I asked the conductor on the return trip why this was the case. She simply replied, "I'm a smoker," and lit up.


  4. Catching a cab after a concert at Soldier Field is not easy. Or cheap.


  5. My new theology of heaven includes a room where they serve Chicago style deep dish pizza.


  6. If you choose to have your lip pierced, and you wear exotic lip jewelry, it IS possible to get your lip ring stuck in the rim of a disposable coffee cup lid. Again: Who knew?


  7. Helping good friends celebrate the milestones in their lives is one of God's greatest blessings for His children.

There's probably more, but I'll just leave it there. I also want to mention that I helped my wonderful, beautiful wife Joni celebrate her birthday this past week. I won't tell you her age, but I WILL tell you that she was the most beautiful bride I have EVER seen when she was 20 years old (we've been married for almost 19 years!).

Thanks to ALL who helped with the Block party this past Sunday. We could not have done it without each and every person who helped carry tables and chairs, fixed food, helped with games, and all of the other little things that go unnoticed by most people. It is a testimony to how much our church family cares about each other and our community.

See you Sunday! Rob


Click Here to see some pics of the trip to Chicago & the U2 concert. (Facebook)

No comments: