Monday, June 23, 2008

Healthy Faith

(From the Flora Christian, June 27, 2008 edition)


I have been leading a group of exercisers on Sunday nights as part of our summer Sunday night program here at FCC. To say “leading” is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Until this week, I have been preparing a devotion and then leaving to head out to church camp while the group exercised. There are some who walk, some who have been doing some aerobics, and a few others who have hinted that they might come in and ride their bikes. Preparing the devotion has been a bit of a challenge.

This reason why it has been a challenge is because I don’t like what I should say. You see, while I do NOT believe that one should have a “perfect” body in order to please the Lord, I DO believe that our physical well being is important to Him. Mostly, the poorer our health, the more distractions we have that keep us from worshipping and serving Him the way we should. I also believe that health is as important when it comes to stewardship as what we do with our finances. The problem with all of this is that I don’t always live what I believe in this area.

I guess it’s a good thing that God is patient with us and puts up with our shortcomings and struggles. Believe me, this isn’t the only area of my Christian walk that isn’t up to par! But thanks be to God that He is gracious and loving, and forgives us of our faults when we ask Him. I also believe He will continue to help me grow in my faith as I continue to try and get my physical health in order.

There’s room in the class for anyone of any ability level. I invite you to come to our class if you are not currently involved in a study on Sunday nights.

See You Sunday! Rob

No comments: