Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Season of Forgiveness

(From the Flora Christian, December 21, 2007 edition)

Christmas is the season when we celebrate miracles: the miracle of birth, the miracle of the heavenly host cracking the sky and bringing a message of glad tidings and joy, and especially the miracle of God’s mercy, grace, and love. This past Sunday, I was reminded how stark the contrast is (sometimes) between God’s grace and my own unwillingness to forgive others.

Joni and I were in St. Louis all weekend, celebrating our 17th anniversary and doing some Christmas shopping. On Sunday, we decided to attend worship at a large church in the St. Louis area where a friend of mine works on staff. It was a very uplifting service with great music, challenging preaching, and even a baptism! But when it came to communion time, I was shocked to see the man who was walking to the pulpit to give the communion meditation. He was an acquaintance of mine from a former church where I served in the St. Louis area. In fact, the right word might not be “acquaintance,” but “nemesis.” I was young, brash (shocking, isn’t it), and idealistic about ministry, and this man represented what I felt was wrong with the organized Church. He seemed to go out of his way to challenge the authority of our elders, undermine the influence of our ministry staff, and generally cause problems whenever he could. Later, he served as an elder himself, and was constantly finding things about my ministry (and me personally) to criticize. I’ll admit it: I didn’t like him much at all.

I had forgotten about him until I saw him walking across the stage Sunday morning. I really struggled with the communion time, because I was focused on how much that man had hurt me (more than 12 years ago!). Then it occurred to me: I have a problem with forgiveness. I have since decided that it’s o.k. to let go of that hurt and pain from so long ago. If I saw him today, I would swallow my pride and go up and talk to him. Not to tell him I forgive him, but to prove to myself that I have done so.

This year at Christmas, maybe you know someone who you need to forgive. If you do, you will experience the true joy of Christmas. God sent to Son Jesus to extend His grace, mercy, and love to ALL of us. Maybe it’s time we all did the same.

See you Sunday! Rob

No comments: