Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I am what I am, and that's ALL that I am."

(From the Flora Christian, November 2, 2007 issue)


Rob’s Ramblings. . . .


One day recently, after I had been chastised and rebuked by someone, I told a friend, “Hey, I’m like Popeye: I am what I am, and that’s all that I am.” I didn’t like being corrected, and I was pretty sure there was no merit in the criticism I had received. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized a couple of things. First of all, there was probably some value to the criticism. I don’t think it was as big of a problem as this individual did, but as I think back on it, I have learned from the experience. Also, the “Popeye” statement might be funny in a cartoon, but it’s not really true in real life—at least I hope it isn’t.


The first part is true: I am what I am. But I would like to change the second part—I would like to become MORE that what I am. I think that’s what life in Christ is all about: becoming more like Jesus every day. Just like everyone else, I have good days and better days (and even a few that are down-right lousy!). But I want to be able to look back at my days, weeks, and years and see that I am not the same person I used to be.


This month marks the beginning of my family’s twelfth year in ministry at FCC. The Cliftons have grown spiritually (and numerically!) during those years. Thank you so much to those of you who have been such an encouragement and support to us. This is not the only congregation with which I have served, but forever my experiences in ministry will be compared to what I have known and done here in Flora. I am eternally grateful to this congregation for the way you have helped me develop and grow in service to the Lord.


See you Sunday! Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat team[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or little-understood ways to generate an income online.